Friday, December 7, 2012

Matanuska Glacier

Yeah, I know, it's been a while since I was in Alaska but I cannot get it out of my mind. I've spent much more time in Norway and don't really think that much about it anymore (which is not really because of the country but mostly due to the bad memories I had there). 
So today I felt like Matanuska - one of my favourite spots in Alaska. It is near the Glenn Highway so you can actually drive to the terminus of the glacier which makes it easily accessible but not overcrowded (not many places in Alaska actually are too busy). The glacier is about 43 km long and the best part is that the terminus is quite flat so you can actually walk on it without too much danger (there are warnings of course but if you don't risk it you miss a lot). There is also a campsite closeby so you can go to the glacier any time of the day/night and then go to sleep (that far north it hardly gets dark in summer anyway so you have lots of time for activities). The coolest thing by far though was the lake on the glacier!






No comments:

Post a Comment