Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Geocaching

Actually I have been infected by him a while ago. Several times, we went out geocaching together and it was great fun to look for the hidden boxes :). Yet, I hadn't quite made up my mind if I wanted to buy a GPS or not. Things changed when my quite old mobile phone gave up to work and I needed a new one so I decided to get one with GPS receiver. The GPS itself was actually quite accurate once it worked but it always needed some time until it started to work and the biggest disadvantage was the battery - it was only good for about half a day and of course a phone doesn't use normal batteries, you could easily take with you. So, finally I got a real GPS and am really happy with it.
Between Christmas and New Year, I picked up a travel bug which had Norway as one of it's preferred destinations so I took it with me and am now trying to set it out.
The first time I went skiing on the illuminated track since it was already dark and unfortunately couldn't find the cache although I must have been close to it.
The second time I tried to ski in the backcountry on a hiking trail and didn't come very far - snowshoes would have been better because the top of the snow cover was frozen and the ground rather uneven - oh well at least I didn't meet any people and that was the main goal :)



Looks like fluffy nice snow but it is more like cement ;)






That's the so called Swedish wall - normally out of rocks.



The sky looked very nice unfortunately I didn't really get a good spot completely without trees.



And a blurred moon ... looked much better of course

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I've seen the swedish wall. I think I even found a cache related to it. In summer of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes there is a cache :) Very close to where I took the picture but under heaps of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'vedefinitely been to the Swedish wall in summer! Caching in Nordmarka in Winter is a special kind of challenge, you're so lucky.

    Nice to see I transferred the bug to you :-) Have you been to Olsen Special yet? It's along Akerselva, which is nice for a caching trip because there are so many caches along the path by the river - you can easily do more than 20 cacehs in a day fust following the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've done the trip along Akerselva but Olsen Special was nowhere to be found :(. Several people who had been to the cache before stated that it must be missing because it was not on the spot where they remembered it should be. So I may try again before I leave.

    ReplyDelete