Saturday, June 1, 2013

The search

Since it looks like there will be a PhD defense in the near future after all, I have started to apply more seriously for jobs. Of course you're not always 100% qualified for everything so sometimes you just send an application and hope that you're lucky. Until now I didn't get a position mostly because I don't have the PhD quite yet and although it was not required everywhere, they preferred to take somebody with more experience which I can understand of course.
What I find a little more depressing is the fact that in the age of fast communication via the internet, where it takes only a few minutes to send a reply to a list of people, most institutions don't bother to tell you that you haven't qualified. I am not talking about just any employer - I am talking about universities and governmental institutions who always want to have very motivated and reliable people teaching their students. And they demonstrate how serious they are about this concept by just not replying to you at all.
What I would like to have is something like this:


A short, nice reply which tells you where you are and you will hence be able to move on.

So, I have decided to record a little more what happens on the job hunt nowadays.
Here is my little list (which will probably grow as time passes) of positions (not specified of course) and what has come out of them:

Canada - no reply
Finland - letter of refusal
North Carolina, USA - no reply
Jamaica - no reply
Sweden - letter of refusal
UK - letter of refusal

tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment