Friday, April 11, 2008

Anniversaries

First of all - I missed the 1st anniversary of this blog - it was in March but that is not so important.
Second: I am one year in Oslo now. Exactly on the 10th of April, I moved into my room in the student dorm. On the 9th in the evening, I arrived in Oslo - the day before I stayed in Tanumshede in Sweden and it was snowing like crazy - what a climate warming - ;). One year ago I was so full of expectations and then there was this time of a lot of disappointment because at the beginning many things just didn't work out . BUT that is usually the case and even with a lot of planning, there are some factors you cannot control. So it was absolutely worth it, not to give up and to get over that phase. Now everything is going well and it was a good decision to come here. The 1st anniversary is a good time to compare countries and here is a list of personal likes/dislikes of Norway (naturally what I like in Norway is mostly not available in Germany and vice versa for dislikes):

positive:
- fresh air - yes the air is completey different than in Germany and you can feel it even in the city (although they say that they have a problem with dust in the air)

- landscape and nature - although I live in the city, I can be out in the woods within a very short time and doing lots of biking, hiking and (if there is snow) skiing without using a car (especially nice during the week after work)

- non-smoking inside - just everywhere and there is not a huge discussion if there should be special rooms or not - smoking inside is just out of the question and it is so nice to go to a pub and coming home without that nasty smell on your clothes

- more hiking and biking trails and ski slopes with light (perfect if you want to go skiing after work)

- the right to camp and hike everywhere (if is it not private property)

negative:

- the alcohol policy - first of all it is too expensive (however, it doesn't really seem to keep people from drinking), second: it is so studid that even for a bottle of wine you have to go to the vinmonopolet, third: no beer sold in the supermarket after 8 p.m.(6 p.m. on a Saturday). I still don't understand why - all people know that and buy more beer before. Fourth: after 10 p.m. you are not allowed to drink beer in the outside area of a pub (what is that good for?).

- the taxes - having to pay around 5000 - 6000€ for your 8 year old car which is not even worth half the price in Germany is just idiotic (taxing new cars - ok debatable but old cars?). And you even have to tax presents - just happened recently when I got my birthday present sent - payed about half of the price of the present as tax. A PRESENT come on guys - I didn't order anything from any company because I know that I would have to pay so much more.

- the lack of biological/organic food - well some people might think that this is stupid anyway but personally I think that it tastes much better and I would at least like to have the choice to buy some

- the lack of choice for many other products - I agree that one should support the regional production but sometimes things from the original country are just better

- this fødselsnummer (something like a social security number): you cannot do anything without that - sometimes it is quite practical but I just feel too much controlled

Of course there are many small things I don't want to mention right now but these are the major ones.

1 comment:

  1. Although one wishes to move into a perfect country one will have similar or different dislikes than in the country one came from. But the goal is to improve the quality of life. So I guess moving to another country is the goal to reach the perfect level (which obviously is very hard to achieve).

    ReplyDelete