Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Seven reasons ...

... why I hate mobile phones. Usually I like technical devices although some might not really be needed. I am a computer junkie and I am also addicted to the internet. I love my digital camera and my usb radio. In addition I am thinking about getting a portable mp3 player. But one thing I really really hate: mobile phones. And that is not because I cannot handle them that is because those damn little things became more important than all the rest which is going on around the people using them.
- I hate sitting in a train or subway with 10 people around me screaming into their mobiles while I would like to read a book or just relax (and I don't feel like listening to music all the time).
- I hate it when you are talking to a person and that person is constantly busy with the phone because someone might have written an sms or might call just in that minute.
- I hate these things going off during a lecture or even during a PhD defense (happened here recently). People - can you not live without that damn thing for 45 minutes? And I regard it also extremely unpolite to play around with a mobile during a lecture even if it is not ringing.
- I hate it when I am in a supermarket and the shopping cart is pushed into me because the person behind me is (of course) on the phone. If you would not shout at the person he/she would not even realize that they push the cart into your ass.
- It is also extremely impolite to hang on the phone while paying at the counter and realizing that the wallet is on the bottom of the bag - it takes double the usual time but who cares about other people waiting behind you.
- Even worse is crossing the street while on the phone or standing in the middle of the road because the phone rings or stopping while going over a pedestrian crossing (I saw all this here).
- And what I think is really annoying - there you are out skiing and enjoying nature and silence just to realize that some people are standing somewhere and talking on a mobile phone.

And yeah I have a mobile phone ... I use it approximately twice a month - when my mum sends me an sms because she wants me to call her (we don't have a phone here).
My friends want me to get a Norwegian provider because they think it is hard to reach me - I tell them: it will not be better because the phone is at home and I will not bother taking it with me - period.

1 comment:

  1. Also very frustrating and annoying is the use of those damn mobile fucks while watching a movie in a cinema. But those suckers don't give a damn about other people. It's always "me and my phone"!

    ReplyDelete