Saturday, November 17, 2007

New computer

More than two weeks ago I ordered a laptop for my work since the other computer didn't have the capacities for my calculations and for the conferences and talks I would have needed a laptop anyway. The university has a contract with Dell so I got a Latitude D630 (well I told the IT lady that I want at least a 2GHz, dual core processor, 1GB RAM (I got 2 now) and diverse other things). I didn't specify the capacity of the harddrive but I thought that at least 80 GB would be standard nowadays anyway. On Thursday, I finally got the computer and she told me that she had installed all the programs (of course she has to because of the licenses) and the only thing I have to ge myself is the license for CS3 . Naturally I was quite happy to have the computer and started to arrange things to my liking and realized quite soon that the graphic card driver was not installed - this I could luckily fix myself since the woman was gone for the day already. Then I realized that the computer is only showing me 40 GB space on the harddrive (11 of those were already used with the programs) and was quite astonished why the harddrive should have only 40 GB. Luckily I am admin of my laptop (I wasn't of my other computer which resulted in starting programs from my personal folder - complete nonsense), so I checked in the system and - tralalala- there were 80 GB lying around unallocated (at least she could have told me that I have to make a partition out of those but she should have done it herself because she gets paid for that and I am not). Well, that could be fixed also by myself .. then I started to test programs .. office - no license. Ok that could not be fixed so I had to get her to fix it ... then I tried most of the programs but I forgot matlab and guess what - yeah she also forgot the license for that program.
Well, I hold back most of the critics but actually I almost could have done the installations myself then at least I would have known what is on the computer and what not but I get paid for doing some scientific and not for installing a computer. Well, the computer is really cool - slowly I have all the things I want on there and it is so quiet compared to my Averatec and the old computer at work.

1 comment: