Saturday, March 15, 2008

A whole year of summer - how depressing

For the last time ... honestly:
The last chance to complain before I will move into my summer depression.
Winter here in Oslo was for me one time ice-skating on the lake and two times cross country skiing. I have to admit that I could have done more skiing (I was also seriously lacking time) but there were about estimated 3 weeks this winter here in Oslo with snow. Of course, there are regions in Norway where there is more snow but there is this technical problem that I cannot move to any place for two hours after work (when I work until 8 pm or later anyway). I did some trips on weekends but then it would have been mich nicer not to have to drive long to go skiing.
Now, everybody is so happy that winter is over - what winter? These 3 weeks ? And they were so unbearable? Please.... now we have 11 months and a week of summer .. isn't that enough? Given the fact that it was not really warm last summer and that it rained a lot which was EXACTLY the same most of the time from November to February this 'winter'.
There is seriously something wrong with the weather - soon we will go to the Mediterranean to go skiing and southern Norway will became a second Adria.
Maybe I should plan my next Christmas vacation in Alaska - then I will at least get a little bit of cold and snow which will make me survive the rest of the year ;)
And then too much of light ... soon it will not be dark when I come home at 10 pm ... how depressing ! I can kind of survive the summer if there is at least a proper winter like in Alaska.
The PhD position here was the best choice and I would not want to change that decision - I work in a fantastic environment, I can learn a lot and people are just great. Oslo is also quite nice - at least not too big for my taste. I have a wonderful appartment, not too far from university and also quite close to the center - the subway station is in a short distance so I am also fast out of town. The people I live with are also great and we get along extremely well.
There is just one thing missing which I actually expected and that is why I deliberately chose Norway and not Spain or Greece or wherever - WINTER!
Isn't that fanstatic - all the people disliking winter end up in Alaska or wherever and I end up somewhere were there used to be winter but for some reason is not anymore. This cries for some change in location after the PhD ! And there is still that option to go to Antarctica - maybe I should hurry because otherwise there will not be ice there when I am there ;)

1 comment:

  1. lol... that leads to the theory that you are the reason for climate shift ;)

    ReplyDelete