Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Driving to Oslo

Well ... yesterday I arrived in Oslo and early this morning I moved into my new home. It is a student dorm so what can I say ... not too much comfort but the kitchen seems to be quite clean and I have to share the bathroom with one more person who I don't know yet. I'm living on the ground floor and I forgot to take curtains so everybody can look in ;) Well, not for long: I will get some curtains from Marcus at the PGP soon.
Driving up to Norway was quite an experience but it was not as bad as I expected - I had not a single traffic jam.
The first day Tobi's yellow paseo joined my clio driving north to Denmark. There is nothing more to tell about Northern Germany except for the fact that it is flat and that Hamburg is ugly (sorry Northerners but that is not really to my taste ;)).
Denmark is flat, too but at least there are nice farm buildings and some forests in between with rabbits and pheasants. Unfortunately they were too fast so it was impossible to take pics. We found a place very close to the shore where free camping is allowed. At the shore the wind was blowing quite hard and it was really icy. However, the spot had a special athmosphere:

On Easter sunday it started to rain and with time passing the rain grew heavier. We wanted to see the World heritage rune stones in Jelling .. one of them was nice with all the ornaments but we had expected a little more.

In addition the museum was closed at the time and I had to continue driving so we couldn't wait longer.
While Tobi drove to his parents I continued my journey through Denmark, crossing the two bridges and then through Sweden. The weather deteriorated from hour to hour so in the end I was driving through snow. My final destination for the day was Tanumshede another site of World Heritage. There were a few cm of snow on the ground by then and I had a hard time finding a place to stay for the night since it is not quite the tourist season. That you believe me - here a picture of the snow:

The next day I had a lot of time since I was only 150 km away of Oslo so I looked at all the major petroglyphs in the region ... some of them are really great. Unfortunately some are permanently covered since there is so much damage to the rock by acid rain and other pollution that they would be destroyed completely if they were exposed to the air. I took a few hundred pictures but the rocks were still wet from the melting snow so some petroglyphs are hard to see on the pictures. Just for an impression see here:

After arriving in Oslo I had to find a place to stay one more time since it was a holiday and the student dorms were not open. I stayed in a youth hostel and had to share the room with another girl. I don't know what she did all night but she came in between 2 and 3 am and woke me up of course.
So that was the whole story in short. More about Oslo later.

4 comments:

  1. danmark isn't completely flat... okay there are no mountains but i guess if you try to cross danmark via bicycle you will be very platt ;) okay the wind is partly to blame... but i concur with july in the beauty of danmark, it's not the beauty like alaska due to the wideness... in danmark beauty comes by detail like a diorama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ju: All the best wishes for your time in Oslo and your PhD.

    Knobitobi: I tried to cross it by bike. (Flansburg-Hirtshals). I know it's not flat at all, but I gave up because of the weather, not because of the hills. After four days and half the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alke: did you travel along the coast or across danmark? If you toke the route not along the coast did you visit Jelling? Which time of year did you travel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I admit: Denmark is not completely flat - but hey I live close to the Alps a few hills are just not high enough ;) Anyway - Norway is even more perfect than Denmark - hills (or let's say smaller mountains), a lot of nature, lakes, ocean, cool rocks what do you want more?
    Alke: thanks for your wishes I guess I like Oslo already more than I ever liked HD ;)

    ReplyDelete