Friday, September 7, 2007

Back again

I just wanted to say that I am back from one of the most beautiful places in the world (at least to my taste). Since I decided that 3 days of exhausting conference would be enough, I didn't join the field trip (I am pretty sure there will be other chances to go to the west coast and see the rocks). But except for being strenuous, the conference was extremely interesting and helpful in many ways. I met so many great people which are always willing to help with data, advice, references and discussions - almost everybody is so friendly and I felt so much accepted as a scientist although I just started and was unexperienced. Some people there had children in my age but I didn't feel the difference in age at all. Funnily enough I also met Bernie from Alaska. I once took one of his courses in geophysics and he still remembered me - telling people that he tried to convince me to quit geology because I was too good (that is Bernie always making jokes). Anyway I was quite surprised that he really remembered me and then somebody said that Bernie always remembers people ;)
Well I will not bore you with all the science but I can say that Arctic Research rocks and I am so glad that I have the chance to take part in all these activities going on.
By the way: the next International Conference on Arctic Margins (ICAM) will be in Fairbanks (huuuuuuraaaaaaaaay). Well it might be in 3 to 4 years but that fits almost perfectly with the end of my PhD - beginning of a Post Doc, we will see.
And Tromsø is such a perfect place. The city itself is not so thrilling but the surrounding are just amazing I will have to put in more pictures soon but just one appetizer:

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure that you will be one bloody hell of a great scientist ;)
    Even though the conference was exhausting I assume it was a crowned with success.
    The age is not the basis for a good scientist ;) Guess what scientist you will be when you are old :D
    Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. Ju lol ... I will need quite a whole minute to address you :D

    ReplyDelete